- Bicycle mode share is relatively low and infrastructure is minimal
- Bicycle racks are widely available and 'Share the Road' signs are common
- Asheville residents do ride on nearly every road, regardless of traffic speed or volume, lack of bicycle facilities, and the mountainous terrain
- Bicycles are viewed as transportation - they tend to be equipped with baskets and fenders and ridden in ordinary clothing
- The area is also popular with athletes, for training rides on the steep mountain roads.
Here are a few of the people I saw on bicycles...