Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Philadelphia, the city of bicycle love

Philly sure does love the vintage bicycles. This only goes to prove my theory that the U.S. is suffering from a severe shortage of quality, affordable, versatile city bikes. On the other hand, it makes a rapturous experience for the vintage bicycle fan. Here are just a few of my sightings.

This guy caught me taking a picture of him and his bicycle, so I said hi and complemented him on it. He said it was from the early 60s. He told me the maker, but I've totally forgotten.
I also spotted this attractive Raleigh - the twin of my own.
Trophy Bikes - which I had been told to check out - was sporting a bakfiets and some other cargo bikes out front. Inside, they had a small but respectable selection of Surlys, Bromptons, and other labels. I did see one box bike in action, later on, but didn't get a picture of it.
A Raleigh Sprite serving as workhorse.
I don't know what it is, but it's shiny and I love it!
This came out slightly blurry. But I just loved the flowers decorating this Raleigh's basket - so cheerful.
A modern sample, including the Surly Steam Roller single-speed.

One thing I will definitely say about Philly - they have done the best job I've seen yet of providing bicycle parking. Wherever it might be needed, with lots extra where there's extra demand. The photos above aren't a great example, but there was a staple rack about every 50 feet, on every block, everywhere through downtown and the university area.

And finally, to wrap it up, the vast quantity of bicycles in front of an art school downtown. There were a few other great bikes, but they'll show up in the next two posts (about women and bicycle culture)!

No comments:

Post a Comment