Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hey, I'm doing something totally normal, notice me!

I argue passionately for the "normalization" of bicycling. I lament aggression from motorists or snarky comments from co-workers. But honestly, I don't have much to complain about.

Sure, there aren't a ton of other cyclists on the road with me. But there are some. It's not an unusual or exciting event to spot a few every day. And motorists have been great. I wanted them to treat me like another vehicle, and they do. I encounter identical behavior whether I'm driving or bicycling. It's great. And it's kind of a letdown!

To some extent, I do want to be noticed. Envied. Asked questions. I want to make people think about bicycles and the people who ride them.

And who knows - maybe they are. Maybe I'm catching peoples' attention and they just aren't expressing it. Maybe they think I'm nuts and try to stay away from me. I don't know. But it's kind of weird.

2 comments:

  1. The only comments I get are at red lights, usually flip remarks or failed wit: "How many miles do you get per gallon?" they smirk. Or, "I'll bet you like that." Yes. Yes, I do like this. I sometimes would ask whether they wanted to drag. Probably wasn't the best idea.

    But I will say this: other bicyclists see you and take note! I have seen your bike parked around town a few times and it made me happy. Just to see other bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have someone ask if they could trade me their SUV. This was back during one of the episodes of really high post-hurricane gas prices.

    ReplyDelete